Important Facts About the Flu Vaccine
The flu is a serious disease which affects millions of people each year. Sometimes, the flu can lead to serious complications. The best way you can protect yourself from the flu virus is to get the vaccine every year. Here are some flu vaccine facts:
- The flu vaccine can cut your risk of getting the flu by about half.
- The vaccine can make flu symptoms milder if you do get sick.
- It can help protect people, especially children and older adults, from being hospitalized for the flu.
- The flu vaccine can help protect people who have chronic diseases. For example, people who have
asthma, diabetes, and heart or lung disease may have fewer hospital visits for the flu.
- The vaccine helps protect women during and after pregnancy. Also, it helps protect the baby for
several months after birth.
- The vaccine helps protect people around you who are at risk for serious health problems if they
catch the flu, or who are not able to get the vaccine.
Millions of people have safely received flu vaccines for decades. It is much safer to get the vaccine than to get the flu. Serious side effects from the vaccine are very rare. If side effects occur, they are usually mild. You should read the Vaccine Information sheet before your dose and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Remember -- Getting the flu is hard. Getting the flu vaccine is easy. Be sure to put it on your calendar every fall so you help protect yourself, and others, from the flu.
Disclaimer - This information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice. Be sure to contact your physician, pharmacist or other health care provider for more information about this medication. By viewing these web site pages, you agree to our terms and conditions of use.
Descargo de responsabilidad - Esta información no pretende sustituir el consejo médico profesional. Usted debe hablar con su médico, farmacéutico u otro proveedor de atención médica para obtener más información sobre este medicamento. Al ver estas páginas web, usted acepta que es de acuerdo con nuestros términos y condiciones de uso.