Praluent: How to Inject a Dose
Let's take a minute to talk about how to use your Praluent pre-filled pen.
Each pre-filled pen contains one dose of Praluent. After you press the button, it injects the medicine under your skin with a very small needle. The medicine goes into the natural layer of fat called "subcutaneous tissue". Before you use Praluent at home, make sure your health care provider teaches you how to give the injection. Also, be sure to read the “Instructions for Use”.
Using Praluent is easy!
To get started, wash your hands, and gather your supplies. You will need five items -- the pre-filled pen, alcohol swabs, a gauze pad, a bandage, and a “sharps container”. It is best to give Praluent at room temperature, so remember to take your dose out of the refrigerator 30 to 40 minutes before your planned injection.
Before every dose, you must check four things:
- Check the label to make sure you have the correct injector and dose.
- Check that the injector is not expired
- Check that the injector does not look cracked, and that the blue cap is on.
- Check the window of the injector to look at the medicine. The liquid should be colorless and free of particles. Also, it should be clear, not cloudy.
You are now ready to prepare the skin:
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- Choose an area of skin on your thigh or in the lower stomach area at least 2 inches away from the belly button. If you have a trained caregiver, they can use the outer, upper arm.
- Always rotate the sites where you inject to avoid injuring your skin. Also, avoid areas with concerns such as bruises, tenderness, scars or stretch marks.
- Clean the chosen injection site with an alcohol swab. Then, let it air dry, and do not let anything touch it. You are now ready to inject the dose.
- Pull the blue needle cover straight off. Do not leave the cap off for more than five minutes. You should only remove it when you are ready for your injection. It is normal to see a drop of liquid. -
Make the injection site firm. To do so, you can either pinch about 2 inches of the skin, or you can stretch about 2 inches out with your thumb and fingers.
- Hold the injector in the hand you write with, with your thumb near the green start button.
- Place the yellow end of the injector on the skin at a 90 degree angle. Do not push the green start button yet. Firmly press the injector down into the skin so the yellow safety guard is no longer visible.
- When you are ready to inject, press the green start button, and then release it. You should hear a “click” which means the injection has started.
- Count slowly to 20 seconds. You must continue holding the injector firmly down into the skin until the dose is finished.
- Make sure the entire window has changed color. This means the full dose was given.
- Now you can stop pressing the injector down into the skin.
- Pull the injector straight out of your skin. The safety guard will automatically cover the needle.
- If you have any concerns that you did not get the full dose, call your doctor right away.
- Cover the site with a gauze pad for a few seconds, and use a small bandage if there is a little bleeding.
- Do not rub the injection site.
- Right after use, carefully place the entire injector into the “sharps” container.
That’s it! These are the basics of giving a dose of Praluent.
For best results, follow the diet and exercise programs that your doctor recommends.
Disclaimer - This information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice. Be sure to contact your physician, pharmacist or other health care provider for more information about this medication. By viewing these web site pages, you agree to our terms and conditions of use.
Descargo de responsabilidad - Esta información no pretende sustituir el consejo médico profesional. Usted debe hablar con su médico, farmacéutico u otro proveedor de atención médica para obtener más información sobre este medicamento. Al ver estas páginas web, usted acepta que es de acuerdo con nuestros términos y condiciones de uso.